There’s nothing quite like straight-up statistics to teach you everything you need to know about marketing and fast.
My advice? Set aside whatever book you’re reading by the latest marketing guru for just a minute and take a peek at these mind-blowing stats that we’ve gathered into this blog post for you.
B2B Marketing Stats
Most of us are fully aware of how essential content marketing is to B2B businesses, but do you know how much of your strategy and budget should be allocated to it?
1. 88% of B2B marketers currently use content marketing as part of their marketing strategy, yet only 32% have a documented content marketing strategy.
2. 61% of the most effective B2B content marketers meet with their content team daily or weekly.
3. The most effective B2B content marketers allocate a larger portion of their budget to content marketing: 42% of their total budget, compared to 28% for less-effective marketers.
4. 55% of B2B marketers report that search engine marketing (SEM) is their most effective paid advertising method.
B2C Marketing Stats
B2C companies’ new best friend in content marketing might very well be the gigantic $30 billion Social Media Ad Industry.
5. Content marketing budgets have increased among B2C companies this year: On average, 32% of total marketing budgets are going towards content, compared to 25% last year.
6. The most popular content marketing tactic reported by 90% of B2C businesses is social media; the next most used tactics are illustrations and photos (87%), eNewsletters (83%), videos (82%) and website articles (81%).
7. The most effective content marketing strategy for B2C businesses is eNewsletters (61% of marketers say these are effective). Other effective strategies are in-person events (67%), illustrations/photos (66%) and social media content (66%).
8. 66% of B2C marketers say Facebook is their most effective social platform; this is followed by YouTube (53%), Twitter (50%) and Instagram (42%).
9. The most popular paid advertising methods for B2C marketers are promoted posts and search engine marketing (SEM). 76% of businesses reported using these strategies.
Did you know that less than 25% of Twitter accounts are actually active? There’s a total of 1.3 billion accounts, but only 320 million are in use. As Twitter’s sign-up growth has slowed down, it will boost its stock price by making ads more prominent, so be ready to start paying for visibility.
10. Online adults aged 18-34 are most likely follow a brand via social networking (95%). (Source: MarketingSherpa) Think about your audience and where they’re likely to follow your brand.
11. 71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others. Use social media as an effective customer service tool to increase brand engagement and win new customers.
12. There are 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally with 1 million new active mobile social users added every day. Mobile is where the money’s at! Optimize your mobile social media campaigns for ads because they are relatively cheap and easy to produce.
13. Visual content is more than 40 times more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content. (Source: HubSpot)
14. There were over 4.4 million videos uploaded directly to Facebook in February 2016, generating over 199 billion views. (Source: ReelSEO) Video marketing is a powerful tool that personalizes your brand and increases conversions.
15. 52% of consumers are now saying that Facebook influences their online and offline purchases, up from 36% in 2014. This potential for conversions is unmatched by any other social platform out there.
16. The best time to post on Facebook is 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Other optimal times include 12:00–1:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays and 1:00–4:00 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays. (Source: HubSpot) Try tools like Buffer or Timely to auto schedule your posts.
17. Link clicks account for 92% of all user interaction with tweets. (Source: HubSpot) Link shares are the your easiest and strongest chance of gaining views, clicks and retweets for your content.
18. 78% of people who complain to a brand via Twitter expect a response within an hour. (Source: Lithium) Customers are running to social media outlets immediately upon frustration or needing a question answered. Not being actively engaged on your social media accounts could be detrimental in this regard.
19. Instagram's user base has grown by more than 300 percent over the past couple of years.
20. Instagram will add another 26.9 million users by 2020.
21. The top 100 brands have seen engagement on Instagram grow by 53 percent year-over-year.
22. Top brands on Instagram are seeing a per-follower engagement rate of 4.21% which is 58 times higher than on Facebook and 120 times higher than on Twitter (Source: Hootsuite) Instagram has become a powerful platform for marketers and businesses cannot afford to overlook its potential.
23. 90% of Instagram users are younger than 35 (Source: ScienceDaily) Instagram has become the social media network of choice for targeting millennials.
24. Posts tagged with another user (56%) or location (79%) have significantly higher engagement rates (Source: Simply Measured) So next time you post on Instagram, don’t forget to add who you’re with and tag your location.
23. The best days to post on Instagram are Mondays and Thursdays as long as you avoid posting between 3 and 4 pm.
25. 36 percent of B2C brands and 13 percent of B2B brands consider Instagram to be "very important" or "critical" to their social media marketing.
26. In 2015 YouTube posted the figure of 40 billion all-time views for branded content. (Source: ReelSEO) That means video marketing has gone from nice-to-have to must-have. It’s a trend that will set the pace for the foreseeable future.
27. More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices and the average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes. (Source: YouTube) As mobile technology captures consumers’ full attention wherever they’re at, brands now have the opportunity to reach people anywhere.
Did you know that SEO leads have a 14.6% close rate? (Hubspot) It’s statistics like this that have the ability to make businesses sit up and question their current marketing strategy!
Getting to the top of Google’s search results takes time, planning, strategy, consistency, and a deep understanding of Google’s search algorithm.
In addition to this, you need to keep an eye on your competition and secure any digital territory you’ve fought for. And just because you reach the #1 spot doesn’t mean you can stop — if anything, you need to work just as hard to maintain your search position.
28. 85% of retailers agree SEO and paid search are most effective at getting new customers. (SEW)
29. 50% of all mobile searches are for local results. (SEW)
30. 80% of local searches convert. (SEW)
31. 37% of consumers are more likely to buy on a mobile responsive site. (ExactTarget)
32. Google handles 1 trillion searches per year. (SEL)
33. 31.24% of all clicks go to the top organic search result. This stat is huge for any company that has that passionate drive to be the best in their industry. If you want a piece of that 1-trillion-searches-per-year pie, your website needs to compete at the top level. Honestly, though, it’s not an easy process, and it won’t be happening overnight.
34. As of February 2015, Google controls 74.8% search market share. (StatCounter)
35. Content marketing generates 3x more leads than traditional marketing. It also costs 62% less than traditional marketing.
And just because we love you, here’s a few last stats to know:
36. Self-employed individuals are more likely to use blogging than large businesses (those with 1,000+ employees). (Social Media Examiner)
37. B2B businesses are more likely to use blogging than B2C businesses. (Social Media Examiner)
38. The average word count of top-ranking content (in Google) is between 1,140-1,285 words.
39. Marketers who prioritize blogging are 13x more likely to achieve a positive ROI on their efforts. (HubSpot)
40. 71% of marketers report using visual assets as part of their content marketing strategy. (Social Media Examiner)
If your company needs more advice on what marketing statistics will work for your company, reach out to us today!